Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Question: How can I help you? Answer: Under very limited circumstances.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be writing about workplace legal issues most of the time, and some of the time I'll be writing about whatever happens to interest me.

I'm an employment lawyer in California, and I represent employees who have had something illegal happen to them in the workplace. Note that I didn't say, "something wrong," or "something bad," or "something really really bad." Unfortunately, most of the time I can't help the people who call me. That's because, in order for me to be able to do anything to help someone, the employer actually has to have done something *illegal.*

That means: before an attorney can help, the employer actually has to have *broken the law*.

Unfortunately, it breaks no law for an employer to be mean, arbitrary, or to do horrible things just because the employer doesn't like you. It doesn't even break the law for the employer to single you out, or to treat you differently. So if that's what happened, an attorney can't help.

The only time any of those things do break the law is if they're based on what we call (1) a protected characteristic, like race, age, sex, religion, disability, and some others, or (2) a protected act, like complaining about racial discrimination, sexual harassment, or something else that's *illegal.*

No matter how badly your employer has hurt you, no matter how much you have suffered because of what the employer did, there won't be anything I can do unless the employer has actually broken the law.

I find myself explaining this a lot, so I figured I'd start off with that as I launch this blog.

I'm trying to post at least once a week, but if I miss a week here or there, that's probably because some employer did something illegal somewhere and I have to run that down. Don't worry. I'll be back.

I hope you find my blog entertaining and informative. Feel free to leave me a message, a comment, or whatever you feel moved to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment